Currently I'm working on a Bleez costume. I don't plan on wearing it until a summer con though.
Bleez is a Red Lantern.. she's angry, sexy, mostly really angry. She appeals to me because her design looks like Devilman, and her backstory is pretty interesting (although rough).
So this is ~in progress~ but I want to get some up now & post the rest later.
This post is a followup to the boot cover tutorial, as a method of making boots with no seam down the center and to show a technique for modifying the base shoes.
To save money, I am repurposing old costume shoes that have been in my garage for a while. The heel on those shoes does not look accurate to Bleez's design. To modify them, I just need a little vinyl, foam, and hot glue.
I traced the heels onto some paper and cut a draft out of foam for the modifications. Then, I placed the foam over the heel to check the fit. The first draft wasn't quite right, so I fixed it and cut two final pieces.
Then I cut out pieces of vinyl slightly larger than the foam pieces, snipped the edges, and glued them over to the back to wrap the foam tightly.
After that, you just glue it onto the shoe.
Here they are.. almost done. I left the edge up at the top so there won't be any gaps when I glue on the bootcovers.
This is a pretty simple thing.. but you can do a lot more with the concept. You could make the shoe into a faux-wedge or do some really crazy shapes or heel cut-outs! It gives you more options to find comfortable shoes rather than lookiing for a specific style.
Now, to the rest of the bootcover.
The tutorial I posted before only covers bootcovers with a seam down the front. But you can use the exact same method for making bootcovers with seams down the side instead!
Here are some photos of the process:
You start out draping the same way.
In this case I am pinning two pieces together (front & back) because Bleez is drawn that way (when they care to give her detail, i.e. cover art), but you could do this in one piece, with just a seam down the back.
Here is a close up shot at the toe, where I have labeled "Left Inside".
The next step is to unpin and trace this onto pattern paper.
Here I played around with the shape & my own measurements to clean up the pattern and ensure a good fit. I also want the pieces to be symmetrical from the ankle up.
I also marked where the zippers will go on the inside of the ankle.
After that you would cut out the pieces, sew them together, and glue the covers to the shoe... buuut I'm not finished this pair just yet so I don't have an end-result photo for you.
Will update this soon!